Last night, Kentucky Educational Television’s Kentucky Tonight program, hosted by Bill Goodman, featured a deeply substantive, and occasionally emotional, debate about the future of industrial hemp in the Bluegrass State. The combatants included The RP (Jonathan Miller), Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer, Kentucky State Police Commissioner Rodney Brewer, and Dan Smoot, vice president of Operation UNITE.
Mentioned in the debate were the following studies and legislative proposals.
- University of Kentucky’s report, Economic Impact of Industrial Hemp in Kentucky – HTML version
- KY Senate bill 50, establishing a regulatory structure for industrial hemp should the federal government legalize it.
- H.R. 1831, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011 (PDF file 164 MB)
- Congressional Research Service, Hemp as an Agricultural Commodity – Updated Version, December 18, 2012 (PDF file 483k)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals unanimous decision declaring that trace amounts of THC found in hemp are not sufficient to permit DEA regulation.
Click below to watch the one hour broadcast: